Grants for Building a Home – Ensuring Quality Homes

Everyone dreams of having their own home. The federal government, through its agencies (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development (USDARD)) are helping less privileged, underserved, and low income families. There are loans and grants for building a home.

Community Entitlement Grants

The Community Entitlement Grant is a project sponsored and funded by the HUD. This program offers support by providing assistance to counties and cities in revitalizing and expanding their economic development. The cash grants can be utilized in demolishing, constructing, renovating and repairing residential as well as non-residential buildings and structures such as houses. In addition to that, the grants are also intended for public facilities improvement like sewer and water systems. Eligible applicants are cities and counties with less 50,000 and 200,000 population, respectively. However, the grants are not intended for government buildings constriction as well as for political activities. Contact the HUD by visiting their website at or by calling them at (202) 708 – 1112.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th St. SW
Washington, DC 20410

Self-Help Technical Assistance Grants

The Self-Help Technical Assistance Grant is a program by the USDA Rural Development that is aimed to give cash support to eligible non-profit organizations as well as public agencies in assisting low-income families in building their home in the rural communities through self-help method. The states, local government, non-profit organizations (public or private) are welcome to apply. The cash grants that will be awarded to deserving organizations are up to $10,000. This cash grant must be used for technical assistance such as hiring personnel to do the program for the method of self-help. It can also be used to pay the essential and practical expenses for the office and administration. Also included for the use of the grant is for purchasing or renting equipment for housing construction, for paying the fees for training in construction methods as well as for professional services that are needed. However, the cash grant cannot be used for hiring personnel that will do the construction work, purchasing real estate, construction materials. Moreover, the grants cannot be used for paying any expenses not mentioned above like debts. For more details, call the USDA Rural Development at (202) 690 – 1533 or visit the website at

Housing Programs

National Office
USDA Rural Development, Room 5014-S
Mail Stop 0701
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20250-0701

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: