Grants for Aging in Place

There is a growing concern about housing for seniors that can be attributed to the rapid growth of the elderly population due to a longer life expectancy and the aging of a large segment of the population – the Boomer generation. In addition, the increased independence of the senior population who are no longer settled with the idea of going into nursing homes created a huge demand for senior housing and other facilities that cater to this segment of the population. Grants for aging in place are now available, not only to elderly persons, but also for groups or organizations that intend to build facilities for the elderly.

Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities

Grants for aging in place are awarded by the federal government and by organizations such as the United Jewish Communities of the U.S. to Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities (NORCs). This is a concept where existing communities adapt to the needs of older residents by changing the infrastructure of the community to accommodate the needs of the older population. The changes are done to make the older residents stay in the community instead of them moving elsewhere. The adaptation in the community can be done by such measures as retrofitting homes, construction of a resource center in the community, providing safety provisions and extra staff to cater to the needs of the elderly population. The Administration of Aging, Department of Health and Human Services, provide grants, given on a competitive basis, to eligible organizations in order for them to create and develop aging in place projects for the elderly, including those living in NORCs, so that they can sustain their independence. Eligible to receive grants for aging in place include nonprofit social services and health organizations, nonprofit organizations that are community-based, local agencies on aging, agencies of the local governments, tribal organizations, and other organizations that may meet the eligibility requirements of the Administration on Aging.

Assisted Living Conversion Program

The ALCP provides grants to nonprofit organizations that run or manage multi-unit homes who want to convert the available spaces in the units into assisted living facilities for the senior population. Only organizations that are already licensed by the state to operate an independent living facility can apply for this grant. Grant money may be utilized for the general conversion of the housing units into assisted living facility and for the construction of common and office spaces. The amount of funding is given based on what is actually needed as stated in the grant application. Applications and questions can be submitted to:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street, Southwest
Washington, DC 20410
Tel. 202-708-1112

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: