Grants for Air Conditioning

Government agencies such as the Department of Agriculture and the Housing and Urban Development provide grants that you can use for home improvement. Each state that has such available grants would have their own set of eligibility requirements but generally they would include the elderly, minorities, low income earners, veterans, and the disabled. They would include too, those who live in a rural area as defined by the government and disaster areas as well. If you are looking for government grants for air conditioning, you can find one through home improvement grants.

Very Low-Income Housing Repair Loans and Grants – this grant can be availed of by low income homeowners in rural areas so they can repair their homes and make them as safe as possible by removing safety and health hazards. One limitation though is that it is available to people 62 years old and above who are not able to repay their loans under Section 504. You can get more information about this program here:

Director, Single-Family Housing Processing Division
Rural Housing Service
Department of Agriculture
Washington, DC 20250
Telephone: (202) 720-1474

Weatherization Assistance for Low-Income Persons – this grant is given to help low-income families to improve their home’s energy efficiency. The funds can be used to improve cooling and thermal efficiency of their homes by installing materials for weatherization such as weather-stripping, caulking, attic insulation, mechanical devices to enhance energy utilization of cooling and heating systems, and replacement if needed of air conditioners and boilers. The range of amount so far granted is from $2,500 to $6,500 for each home unit. You can find out more about this government grants for air conditioning through:

Weatherization and Intergovernmental Program
EE-2K, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
1000 Independence Avenue
SW, Washington, District of Columbia 20585
Telephone: (1-877) 337-3463

You can start by contacting your local office of rural development. If you don’t know if you have one in your community, you can visit the Office of Community Planning and Development to find out. Once you have determined where it is located, try to find out if you are eligible to apply for home improvement grants. These grants are also known as block-grant funds that the government use to improve rural neighborhoods and promote their development. If you are qualified an adviser coming from the housing office will inspect your home. You have to make sure that the funds given to you are spent according to the provisions of the grant such as weatherization or installing a new air conditioning unit, in this case. The adviser will return after the improvements have been made to make sure you have complied.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: