Grants for Bills While in School

By the economic nature of things, the factor which prevents a student to enrol in college is the lack of source of fund. The skyrocketing cost of education stymies the ambition of anyone who wants to pursue them.

The local, state, federal and national government offer grants for bills while you are in school, whether you are in undergraduate, post-secondary, or post-baccalaureate level.

FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)

This is a program under the US Department of Education with a grant ranging from $100-4,000 per year, depending on the arrangement with the institutes which participates in this program.

The requirements for a FSEOG are, your family must be in ‘lowest expected family contribution’ , and you must be a full-time student. The deadline of submission of application is every March 1 of the year, as implemented by FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Aid). This is for low-income students/family to gain access to the post-secondary and post-baccalaureate education.

For further inquiries, contact your local government agency and the US Department of Education. US Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington DC 20202,Telephone number 1-800-872-5327; 202-401-2000. Website:

Federal Pell Grant

This is available for undergraduate student from a ‘low to moderate’ standard family income. You may not repay the grant but you must be in FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Aid) to qualify. The maximum grant is $5,500, depending on the participating institutes, for the a post-baccalaureate and bachelor degree, for the award year July 2010-July 30 2011. Contact your local and state agency for further questions. Website:

ACG (Academic Competitiveness Grant)

This is offered to an undergraduate in first year and second year levels, who is a Federal Pell Grant recipient for the same award year, a US citizen, and with a cumulative 3.0 GPA (Grade Point Average). The grant amounts up to $750 for 1st year and $1,300 for the 2nd year level. For your questions, visit your local financial aid office. Check also the website, and programs.html.

Teach Grant

Is open to applicants for undergraduate and graduate levels. This grant is in conjunction with a congress bill, which awards $4,000 per year for a student who, to begin with, is willing to teach and serve in a public and private schools for elementary and secondary, which caters to low-income families. You must sign agreement to be a full-time teacher on these ‘high need field’, meaning you will teach on the subjects, Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Science, and Special Education. To be eligible, you must be a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), a US citizen or an eligible non-US citizen, enrolled in undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, post-graduate, post-secondary course, with above 75 percentile college admission test score, and must maintain a grade point average of at least 3.25.

Contact TEACH GRANT PROGRAM, PO Box 3900 Greenville TX, call 75403-3900. Visit the web page

SMART (National Science and Mathematics Access Talent Grant)

This is also known as National Smart Grant, admits applicant who is a student with a Federal Pell Grant, and wants to enrol in Physical, Life, Computer Science, Mathematics, Technology, English, and Critical Foreign Language, as well as the non-major course such as Single Liberal Arts. The requirements are, A US citizen or eligible non-US Citizen, enrolled at least half-time in 3rd , 4th , or 5th year level, with a maintained GPA (grade-point average)3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the end of second annual year.

For details, contact the US Department of Education 400 Maryland Ave SW Washington, DC 20202. Call them at 202-401-2000/1-800-872-5327

For all these grants, write a neat, brief cover letter with your proposal.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: