Grants for Building – Providing Buildings for the Public

The federal government is sponsoring grants for building through various federal agencies. These buildings are supported for its construction or renovation provided that they will be used for the benefit of the society or community such as for public services, public safety, health and other activities by the government.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program

The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program or simply HMGP is a project funded and administered by FEMA or Federal Emergency Management Agency. The FEMA awards grants for building that should be utilized in retrofitting buildings in order to reduce the damage caused by certain natural phenomena such as earthquakes, high winds, tornado or even man-made fires. The funds can be used in elevating the structures prone to floods. In addition to that, the cash assistance can be used in demolishing buildings and then converting it the property that is open space and will give support to activities that will assist officials in enforcing the building codes during its reconstruction. Applicants must be non-profit organizations, state government and tribal agencies. For more details, contact the FEMA at (800) 745 – 0243 or visit their website at

Federal Emergency Management Agency
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055

Community Facilities Grant

The Community Facilities Grant is a project launched in which the buildings constructed for public use such as public and community, health centers and care as well as public safety can be reconstructed as well as renovated. The grants are funded, sponsored and administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. These funds are intended also for purchasing the necessary equipments that are needed for operating the facility. The Eligible applicants for this grant are the counties, municipalities, local as well as the tribal government agencies and the non-profit organizations. In addition to that, the communities with population that is less than 20,000 are welcomed to submit an application. The Community Facilities will cover as much as 75% of the total expenses of the project. This grants for building and facilities are based on the formula in which the committee uses. The community having fewer populations in number as well as total income will receive higher cash assistance from this project by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. For more details about this grant, call the U.S. Department of Agriculture at (202) 720 – 9619 or visit their website at

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Rm 5014 South Building
14th St. and Independence Ave. SW
Washington, DC 20250

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: