What is The Meadows Foundation?
The Meadows Foundation is a private philanthropic institution established in 1948 by Algur H. and Virginia Meadows to benefit the people of Texas.
The Foundation’s mission is to assist the people and institutions of Texas improve the quality and circumstances of life for themselves and future generations.
The Meadows Foundation strives to exemplify the principles of its founder in addressing basic human needs by working toward the elimination of ignorance, hopelessness and suffering, protecting the environment, providing cultural enrichment, encouraging excellence and promoting understanding and cooperation among people.
Who are eligible for The Meadows Foundation?
Under the terms of its charter, the Foundation can distribute grants only to qualified public entities or 501(c)(3) charities serving the people of Texas. The Foundation does not lend or grant money to individuals.
Within its five general areas of giving, the Foundation has developed a particular interest in programs that improve the educational outcomes of Texas students, preserve and enhance the natural environment, and address the detection and treatment of mental illness.
How to apply for The Meadows Foundation?
Applicants are encouraged to search the grants database at www.mfi.org (under the Grants menu) to see the types of grants the Foundation makes.
Applications should include:
- Organization Information – a brief history of the organization, its current focus and recent accomplishments:
- a copy of the latest verification of tax-exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service
- certified audits for the last three years (if a young agency, send last fiscal year’s statements and the last IRS Form 990 filed)
- the organization’s current operating budget and year-to-date financial statements
- Market and Customers – current population served including socio-economic status, ethnicity, gender, age, and geographic location.
- Project Description – a statement of need for the proposed project and a description of how it will address that need.
- Targets and Outcomes – who will be served and what specific results are expected from the proposed activities and within what stated time period?
- Key Individuals – list of directors and corporate officers including profession, ethnicity, gender, and names and qualifications of key staff involved with the proposed project.
- Financial Projections – a project line item budget including income and expenses.
- the specific dollar amount requested from the Foundation and date payment is needed
- a list of all entities asked to give financial support to the proposed project (include their responses to date and dollar amount committed)
- financial support for the project after the grant period
- Verification and Learning – plans to measure progress against expected outcomes.
- include current or baseline levels, if available
- describe program data to be collected and how it will be used to improve the program (evaluation guidelines are available in the Grants section of www.mfi.org)
Applications are acknowledged within a week. The Foundation prefers to schedule face-to-face meetings after receiving an application to ensure that staff is familiar with the proposed project and can offer informed advice. However, grants staff members are available by phone or email to respond to inquiries at any time and we may schedule pre-grant interviews as time permits.
Progress reports on goals and expenditures of grant funds are required of all grantees.
How much funding is available for The Meadows Foundation?
The amount of funding for each grant is decided based on the needs of the applicant and the merits of the project.
Where to send applications for The Meadows Foundation?
Grant applications may be submitted over the Internet. However, the Foundation cannot guarantee the confidentiality of information contained in electronic submittals. Convenient downloadable and online grant application guidelines are available at www.mfi.org. Please do not attempt to attach files to online applications. Please address grant correspondence to:
Grants Administration Department
The Meadows Foundation
3003 Swiss Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75204-6049
For more information on The Meadows Foundation, contact:
14-826-9431 (1-800-826-9431 outside the Dallas area)
214-827-7042 (fax) www.mfi.org