What is MASSGrant Program?
The MASSGrant is a grant assistance program funded by appropriations from the Massachusetts Legislature. The MASSGrant program provides need-based financial assistance to undergraduate students who reside in Massachusetts and who are enrolled in and pursuing a program of higher education in any approved public or independent college, university, school of nursing or any other approved institution furnishing a program of higher education.
Who are eligible for the MASSGrant Program?
To be eligible for a MASSGrant a student must:
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) between $0-$5273.
- Be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts.
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- Be enrolled full time (at least 12 credits or its equivalent).
- Be enrolled in a certificate, associate or bachelors degree program.
- Not have received a prior bachelors degree or its equivalent.
- Be in compliance with Selective Service Registration requirements.
- Be eligible for Title IV financial aid, not be in default of any Federal or State loan or owe a refund on any previously received financial aid.
- Demonstrate financial aid need as determined by the Federal Methodology need analysis criteria.
- Be maintaining satisfactory academic progress in accordance with institutional and federal standards.
How to apply for the MASSGrant Program?
Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Federal Central Processor. The Federal Processor must receive the FAFSA by May 1st, in order for the student to meet the MASSGrant application priority deadline date. You can obtain a FAFSA from a high school guidance office, the local library, your college’s Financial Aid Office or you can call the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance at (617) 727-9420 to request a copy.
How much funding is available for the MASSGrant Program?
The grant award under this program will vary, depending on the type of institution and the students’ enrollment status (full-time or part-time) as follows:
|Program Type||Number of Semesters of Eligibility|
|5 Year Program||10 Semesters|
|4 Year Program||8 Semesters|
|3 Year Program||6 Semesters|
|2 Year Program||4 Semesters|
|1 Year Program||2 Semesters|
Where to send applications for the MASSGrant Program?
For more information on the MASSGrant Program, contact:
Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance
454 Broadway, Suite 200
Revere, MA 02151
Phone: (617) 727-9420
Fax: (617) 727-0667