The Texas Instruments is popular as the education partners for most educators. The TI provides the needed tools for educations such as calculators, software, and other equipments. Being one of the best partners in educating the youth, TI also offers grants for calculators, whether graphic, scientific or basic calculators, to students as they prepare to enter the post-secondary education. The TI has partnered with various school institutions in order to fulfill this goal.
The GEAR UP is a project of Texas Instruments with partners to different universities and other school institutions. The GEAR UP is aimed to support students as they prepare for entering and succeeding in post-secondary education. Also, the project is aimed to increase significantly the number of these students. The GEAR UP assists less privileged students and those belonging to low income families. TI offers grants, but not in cash assistance instead, in wide array of equipments, methods and solution that will help educators and students succeed. The following are what TI supports:
- Technology for the classroom use
- Support for educators
- Professional development
- Support for parents
- Resources for college entrance exam
The calculators that they grant for deserving students are as follows: TI-Nspire™ Navigator™ System, TI-84 Plus graphing calculators, TI-83 Plus graphing calculators or the TI-73 Explorer™ graphing calculator. These technologies can be used by the teachers in their everyday schooling in order to improve the curriculum, their mathematics subject and education related matters.
TI has partners in the following universities and schools;
- University of Texas-Pan American – TI provides TI-Navigator™ systems and TI-Nspire™, TI-84 Plus graphing calculators and TI-73 Explorer™ graphing calculators for 11th graders
- Region 1 Educational Service Center – TI provides TI- Navigator™ systems and TI-Nspire, TI-84 Plus graphing calculators and TI-73 Explorer graphing calculators for 11th graders.
- Texas A&M International University – TI provides TI- Navigator™ systems and TI-Nspire and TI-84 Plus graphing calculators for 11th graders.
- Eastern Oklahoma State College – TI provides TI-Nspire
graphing calculators for the 9th and 10th grades students.
- Florida International University – TI provides TI- Navigator™ systems and TI-Nspire™, TI-84 Plus graphing calculators and TI-73 Explorer graphing calculator for the 9th and 10th grades students.
All of these partnerships will run five to six years where Texas based universities and schools will end in 2011 while the latter will end in 2012. Interested students as well as universities and school can contact TI and the GEAR UP program by emailing TI at firstname.lastname@example.org